Friday, September 16, 2011

I bit him back

It's been an interesting 2 days at the Harden house. I'm really hoping tomorrow morning brings something better. Better luck if nothing else.
Yesterday morning right after I dropped of porter at school I was waiting to make a left turn to go to the hospital. There was one car in front of me and I happened to look in my rear view mirror just in time to see the car behind me rear end me. All it did was crack my bumper in a couple of places, make me late, and aggravate me. I wasn't hurt and the bumper can be fixed, so we move on. It did throw my day off a little so I had to work hard to get back on schedule. Everything had just about fallen back into place when I got a call from the daycare that porter had bitten and pinched and was generally not obeying his teachers, so I made a detour by the daycare to provide some "parental guidance" that is not provided by the school. I left porter at the school to continue my errands. I went back to get him when my errands were complete and in time to go to swimming lessons. Once at home things finally calmed down to our normal evening routine. We watched the lsu vs miss state game and went to bed.
This morning I got up at the regular 6:00 and shortly after went to get in the shower. It was taking an awful long time for the water to warm up so I sent Jared to check on it. Jared went outside to see if the pilot light had gone out and quickly returned to break the news that the entire area under the house where the water heater was located was flooded and water was spilling out into the backyard. Awesome. I packed up porter and I and we went to my parent's house so I could shower and get porter ready for school. I couldn't get my parents to answer any phone at their house, so when I showed up they thought something was wrong. And it was. We had no water. We got ready and out the door without being too late and Jared took to the task of pumping the water out from under the house. He called me soon to let me know the water heater had sprung several leaks, accounting for the flood and the lack of hot water. He was on it as soon as business hours came around and we had the SEAGD guys working to install a new tankless hot water system that was finished and ready for use around 3:30pm. At least something good seems to have come from all this. However, we must back up to about 8:00 am, which is when I got my first call of the day from the daycare. Porter had already struck for the first time. He bit a classmate. I dropped what I was doing and was at the daycare in about 5 minutes and met Porter, his teacher, and the daycare owner in the front office. I have never bit him, but today I did. In the same spot he bit the other child. Something has got to make an impression and so far nothing else has. Time out is a joke as is just explaining to him that it hurts or making him apologize to his victim, which we do all of every time he bites. Plus some. :) So after I had gone through the routine, adding a bite from the mommy, I went back to work. I didn't like biting him and I could tell it shocked him that I would do that and he cried, but it's just not acceptable to us to pass it off as a phase and not do anything about it.
About two hours later I got the next call. He had pinched the same little boy and he drew blood. Seriously?!?! I hope this phase is short because if not we're going to have to look for a new daycare. This time I sent Jared to deal with him and I waited at home for the gas district workers. Jared took his turn with him and then I was able to get back going with my day. Once again, late in the afternoon things seemed to be getting back on track. We had gone to the homecoming parade and had a good day at swimming lessons and had just sat down to eat a barbeque plate at the football game when I began to notice something warm on my right butt cheek. I thought my cell phone ha gotten hot in my pocket, but quickly realized it was warm and wet, and porter was kneeling down right beside me. Just when you get comfortable and feel free because you don't have to take a diaper bag anymore, he wet his shorts, and my right butt cheek. We were able to get Nicole to swing by our house on her way to the game and pick Porter up some dry clothes and continued to the game.
Life happens? My mom said, "welcome to adulthood." I guess all I can do is just shrug my shoulders, go to bed, and see what happens tomorrow. I'm not in control anyway, so who am I to question it.

Homecoming parade...





Tara
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment