Friday, February 13, 2009

Compromise

As I found out from my poll, most of you are curious about the things I see here at USA Medical Center. A few wusses don't want to see the pictures, and lucky for you few, I've found a way to post pictures from work that you would have to click on to see.
So, if you want to see what a 12 gauge shotgun will do to a human leg, click here, here, here and here. He says he was squirrel hunting and somehow just accidentally bumped his gun and it went off. He went to the operating room right after he arrived because he had an arterial injury that we repaired with a saphenous vein graft. The orthopedic team came in after we were done to put on the ex-fix (external fixator---metal bars that keep the leg from moving.... like a cast....). However, due to the angle the leg was fixed at, the graft got kinked and clotted off. Even after that he still had ok blood flow to the leg, but he ended up needing to have an AKA (Above Knee Amputation).
Lots of people think, "Oh, things like that don't really ever happen," or "I'm very safe and careful, so it won't happen to me," but I am telling you---it happens every day no matter how safe, careful, and attentive you are. This also pertains to motorcycles (Jared and PawPaw Harden), which is why Porter will never have one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment