Sunday, March 6, 2011

What? On time to church?

Hard to believe but without any loud "discussions" or running around we are all neatly dressed and headed to church. We are still attending mosaic church in crestview, fl. If all goes well at church porter will be rewarded with seeing the fish and getting blue ice cream (bass pro shop and cold stone creamery cotton candy flavor). Let me elaborate...
You may have noticed the post earlier in the week where I bribed (yes, bribed--hey, whatever works in some situations) my child with ice cream if he behaved at school. No biting or pinching. He takes after his mother, and I was quite scrappy. Ask some of those kindergarten victims, and one particular victim that my mom brings up every time we have a discussion about my biting history. I did carry the nickname of "the crab" for a while. Anyway, the punishment at school is not severe enough to deter the behavior, so we have been experimenting with alternate methods. If you google this type of thing there is a lot of garbage about positive reinforcement for good behavior and ignoring the bad behavior (garbage when you are dealing with the irrational and impulsive 2 year old mind), along with other sure fire methods like making him apologize to the child and his mother (porter laughed at that one). Well, the ice cream lasted 2 days before we put our other plan into action. I would direct you to the loving corporal punishment website for a detailed description, but it doesn't exist. I got the call Friday morning that porter had bit and pinched a classmate and was being detained in an isolated location *anxiously* awaiting my arrival. I was actually busy (odd, I know), so I dispatched the daddy. The plan was enacted and got rave reviews from porter. The bonus at the end was that his daddy was not taking him with him when he left. Shock and dismay. It lasted forever in that little mind, but he was good by lunchtime, which was less than 30 minutes away, and all was forgotten after naptime. Well, not forgotten, actually, but he felt better. He said he bit his "girlfriend" Molly on the playground that afternoon, and she had wet marks on her sleeve, but no physical evidence on her skin. Faux bite? Anyway, no ice cream after school, which was more devastating for daddy I think. We don't have problems with biting at home, but porter does like to pinch the dogs, which is a new trick he's trying out, but the methods effective when he was biting his cousins are being employed and I think it will be a short lived experiment. So we ha a relatively toddler violence free Saturday, but Sunday brings church and the nursery... That brings us full circle with church, bass pro, and blue ice cream. And we're gonna be early. :)


Tara
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments: