Saturday, September 29, 2012

Peanut allergy

This is real.
Last night at the football game I got boiled peanuts. Porter does not like peanuts, but he was very proud of the fact that he could peel them all by himself and give them to me. He has had limited exposure to peanuts in the past because he would not eat any peanut products. Never has. In just a few minutes I noticed he was rubbing his eyes a lot and he told me his eyes were itching. I looked at them and they looked fine. He kept doing it. I looked at them and he had tiny little whelps all around his eyes. And he was scratching his entire head with both hands. I had gone to the game to see the band perform and they were about to take the field, so I told him we would leave after they played. About halfway through Andalusia's 2nd song I looked at him and his face was red and swollen, right eye was almost swollen shut and his nose was stopped up and running clear stuff. It had gotten much worse quickly. I would say it had only been about 10 minutes total.
We flew to rite aid and got some Benadryl and went straight home. This is what he looked like when we got home.



I have him 25 mg of Benadryl and sat up with him for a long time after he fell asleep. The redness improved and the swelling went down some bit he was still swollen a good bit this morning. Here is what he looked like this morning.



So now we are a peanut free home! And we are on steroids and getting epi pens to keep with us.
If you are around him, please do not try to feed my child any peanut products or have them around him. He didn't even eat a peanut last night. He just had it on his hands. I'm not sure if he rubbed his eye or what set it off, but it was just on his skin. So not letting him eat it isn't good enough. He can't be around it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: