Wednesday, May 4, 2011

God will take care of all of my needs--including expensive conditioner.

Long story. Sit back and relax.
Most of my adult life I have thought that I just needed a little more money and everything would be great. I would be able to pay all my bills and have enough left over to get most anything I wanted within reason. That I wouldn't ever live paycheck to paycheck. That I would have money in savings, and that I wouldn't be scrambling right before my next paycheck. If I just made a little more money. And we all know that doctors are "loaded" right? And I was going to be one of those, so if I could just hold on until X happens I'll be around that bend. I got a nice raise when I started my practice, so that was the X I have been waiting for lately, but I have come to find out that I was very wrong. I have heard it said many times that it doesn't matter how much money you have if you don't know how to manage it, and you will just spend whatever you make. A lot of this was from my mom, but also other people. Didn't think I was one of those people. I also didn't think that tithes, offerings, or any other giving really applied to me because I didn't have a job all those years. Money was given to me by my mom and dad, so I was "exempt" from all that. Then I got into a resident, where you do get paid, and it was more than some people ever make in a year, but for me it was still "scraping by" because the big downfall was just around the corner. Well the last 8 months have been a little bit of a shock to say the least. My income literally tripled and I think I have less money now than ever. And of course tithing is just out of the question, right? Wrong....
2 Corinthians 9:7-8
7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.

The part about always having everything you need and plenty left over to share is the kicker. But first, if you really believe you have given over all of you to God to use however, why would you ever think that your finances didn't count. Second, it's all God's anyway. He gave me everything to begin with, and then lastly, He will provide everything we need. It doesn't say "want" but my husband has a saying for that that some of you may be familiar with.
We have not done a good job managing our finances in the past, recent past, and probably won't in the future without God's guidance, so starting this month, we are going to FAITHFULLY tithe, and are excited what God can do with our contribution.
Part two to the story....
I have a patient in luverne that I have been following for almost two months now. The first time I met him I was a little scared. I heard from the nursing staff how terrible he was, and when I saw him he fulfilled the mental image. He smoked a lot and smelled like it, and had frizzy hair halfway down his back and a beard as long. He needed his gallbladder out. Soon. We took him to the OR and started laparoscopically, but soon I realized he was going to be one of the very few I convert to open. I didn't want to because I knew it would make him have to be in the hospital longer, which would mean I would have to see him longer. And he wouldn't heal very well because of how much he smoked. But whatever. He did fine and gave the nurses hell the next day and signed himself out of the hospital and took off walking down the street. Fast forward one week and he shows back up to take his staples out. He had on the same surgical dressing I put on in the operating room and it was literally brown it was so dirty. I took them out quickly, didn't talk much and sent him on his way again. He didn't even get home before his wound opened up and was bleeding. Back he came again. I packed his wound, explained to him that he had to change his dressing every day and be clean. We gave him some supplies because we knew he couldn't afford it. I saw him one week later an didn't recognize him. He had gotten a very nice looking haircut and shaved his beard. He ha also brought a large box that was supposedly for me. It was kinda heavy and all the staff at the hospital was scared of it. After he left we opened it and it was a new rebel flag blanket, still in the original plastic packaging. Queen sized to be exact, and very good quality. That was seriously the nicest gift I have ever gotten from a patient. He was very nice and had done exactly what I said and his wound was healing. Today I saw him again. It has been three weeks since I saw him last. He brought another box. Smaller this time, but still a little heavy. I saw him and he was doing great and his wound has almost healed. I opened the box after he left. It was a liter bottle of Kenra conditioner. Like shampoo and conditioner, but just the conditioner. Why? Well, I'm almost out of conditioner, but I have plenty of shampoo. And I have been thinking about what I was going to do when I ran out because I didn't think God would think I "need" expensive conditioner. Thanks for the conditioner, God.




1 comment: