Sunday, August 15, 2010

The toddler bed challenge and last week's news

Pardon me if I fall asleep during this post....
1. The toddler bed: Oh yes. We are there. I didn't expect to be here for a while still, but our precocious climber has brought us to this point. Last Sunday night was my first shift in the ER, and when I got home Monday morning, Jared informed me of the good news. He said he heard Porter stirring at his normal hour (6:00am) and he got up and completed his normal get up routine before heading down the hall, but no worries, Porter was headed to meet him--bits in tow (bits=blanket). He didn't hurt himself, but who knows what would happen next time, so we decided to not take any chances. Our toddler bed rail was in the attic in the Daphne house, but I was headed to Daphne on Tuesday anyway, and I got it while I was there. So the crib rail disappeared, and we found out that it must have been THE Sandman, because insomnia has set in for the whole family. Not the kind of "yippee I'm free to play all night" insomnia, though, so I'm a little confused. What about a new bed rail makes a little boy wake up nearly once an hour? Seriously, last night we were up every hour, and he would go back to sleep if you told him to lay down and just hovered in the room for a minute. So, needless to say, after one night of no sleep from working the ER, and last night at home, I am exhausted. Really.
2. The bathroom: Remember the beginning of last week when I said SURELY the bathroom would be finished by the end of the week? Ha--they showed me. We have still yet to see a cabinet door or drawer be installed, and while the shower tile is finished except for the doorway, and the shower is usable, the holdup is with the fixtures now, and it has just become a tiled room with a bench in it. The cabinet man is supposed to be at the house bright and early Monday morning, which will be more than double the time he said it would take him to have the cabinets built and installed. The tile for the doorway of the shower is supposed to be here Tuesday. Do they really think I believe them anymore??? The award for the best product and service goes to Ricky Daniels in Andalusia--he is responsible for the beautiful granite countertops that we called about one day, and were installed the next.
3. My real job: I have not started. I do not know when it will be. I am still waiting on Medicare (imagine that, Nancy) for my provider number. Whenever I get that number I will start the next week. The encouraging part of it is that I have had several people around town say they wanted to be my first patient. Bless their hearts, brave souls.
4. Landscaping project: We tackled a spot in our front yard last weekend that we thought we would fix up Saturday morning, and whatever our tile and cabinet man has must be contagious, because we are still not finished. It kinda mushroomed from getting something to go in the flower boxes under the windows to stacking a lot of field stone for the large cement birdbath, laying landscape fabric, planting, and mulching. We are to the mulching part now. We went to Crestview Nurseries yesterday morning and got a truckload, literally. It was sold by the scoop, and 3 scoops filled the back of the truck and it was heaped halfway up the back window. It covered about half of the area in front of our carport, so we will be returning to Crestview several times before this project is completed.
5. The virus: I have finally shaken the grips of a nasty GI bug that Porter brought home from school. It was a full 6 days worth of GI "symptoms" and I am very happy to be eating again.

I am currently in the ER for my 12 hour day shift today, and I hope to get a nap, but the nurses just laughed at me. I hope to be posting pictures of our completed bathroom sometime before we sell this house, and will show you our landscaping masterpiece in progress tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment