Wednesday, October 12, 2011

No joke

It is 1:00am and we are all up. I did work all day Monday, took a short nap and worked a 12 hour shift in the ER Monday night. I slept for a few hours Tuesday morning and worked Tuesday afternoon. I was pretty tired when we went to bed around 9:00pm, but porter had already cried several times by then. I do not think he has been asleep for more than an hour total since he went to bed at 8:30pm. The longest stretch he was quiet was from 10:15 to 11:15, but I don't think he was asleep all that time. This is the 2nd night in a row it's been this bad. Last night I was at work and Jared was with him and he said he finally went to sleep sometime around 1:30am, and got up at his usual 6:00am. I am completely at a loss for what to do and on top of that I am about to lose it from lack of sleep. Talking about sleeping doesn't work, death threats and taking away privileges doesn't work, corporal punishment doesn't work, letting him cry doesn't work. At some point you think he would just get tired and go to sleep, but here we are at 1:00am and that's not the case. 4 1/2 hours later we are up. Jared and porter are in the den talking. We have given him benadryl as a last resort, but I'm still skeptical. He sleeps ok when he's had it, but it definitely doesnt just knock him out. I'm up for anything and we may be looking for an "expert" on the matter. Regardless of how we have dealt with sleep with him in the past, this is not normal. It's not like he's sleeping all day either. He sleeps for about 1 1/2 hours at daycare for nap during the week and maybe 2 hours for nap on the weekends. We have always had trouble getting him to sleep, but it has gotten worse. He did sleep all night for a couple of months before all this started, and he has gradually gone from that to tonight in about 4 weeks. It's just ridiculous and something has got to give..... So off to laying in bed listening to a toddler cry and talk I go.

Tara
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment