Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sleep, iPhone 4S, and fruit basket turnover

Sleep:  I guess you could say we are over the insomnia.  The melatonin does work like a charm for getting him to sleep, but he always wakes up in about an hour....  For the first time....  We are back to our regular getting up 4-5 times a night.  I think some of it is that he is a little scared of being in his room by himself because he tries to find a reason to get in bed with us.  He usually has to tee tee at least once, and then the other times I don't know what is up.  I really thought we had the sleeping thing licked this summer.  He was sleeping all night without a peep for about 2 months.  I felt so rested then.

iPhone 4S and iCloud:  We are loyal apple customers and always go for the early upgrade on our phones.  Last year when we upgraded we were able to sell our existing phones on ebay for what the new ones cost, which makes it feasible.  We certainly plan on doing the same thing with our current phones, and research prior to getting the new phones shows that we should at least get our money back.  Our transition has not been great.  Actually it has been miserable and is still in progress.  The initial backup to the iCloud took Jared almost 24 hours and we have been trying all weekend unsuccessfully for my phone.  The iCloud sounds good in theory, and maybe we will get it to work eventually, but right now we are not really fans.  I don't think any of our iPhone transitions have been seamless, and it gets worse every time we get a new phone because of the amount of information we store.  Between contacts, movies and tv shows for Porter, photos and videos, and all kinds of apps, we had each used up our 32gb and got 64 gb phones this time.  If we fill up the 64gb before the next upgrade, we will have to make the iCloud work.  Well, apparently we have to make the iCloud work this time, but it is painful.

Work:  I survived my ER heavy week.  I worked Monday night, Thursday night, and Friday night of this week, including managing a fairly regular day time schedule with surgery and clinic.  Throw in the insomnia with Porter, and I would say exhaustion is just an appetizer.  Oh, and we moved furniture all morning Friday instead of me sleeping (i'll get to that).  Sleeping in spurts of about 3-4 hours has never worked well for me.  I really need a good 8 hours, so I am surprised I did as well as I did.  I think the only way I made it was that the ER Thursday and Friday was really slow, so even though I was awake, I was kinda resting?  I actually got to sleep about 4 hours Friday night, which is just unheard of.

Nursery transition:  Friday morning when I got home from working the ER, I gave Jared instructions about moving furniture around when I got up.  I gave so many instructions, and more instructions when he came in the bedroom right after I laid down to go to sleep, that HE thought we should just do it then.  Before I slept.  But I guess I was retarded enough to get up and do it.  The furniture in Porter's room is the nursery furniture, and we are just using some of the furniture in the guest room for Porter for a while--until we get him his own big boy furniture (might be when he goes to college).  So we broke down both beds and swapped rooms with the stuff and reassembled the crib in Stella's room.  We took everything out of Porter's "dresser" aka the changing table, and moved it to Stella's room.  We reassembled the bed frame from the guest room in Porter's room.  We moved the dresser from the guest room to Porter's room and put his clothes in it.  It is also doubling as his bookshelf, so the entire top of it is now covered with his books.  We moved his bookshelf into Stella's room too.  The cedar chest in the guest room/Stella's room was moved to our bedroom.  We had to do some other general rearranging to get things where they needed to be, but for the most part the furniture moving is done.  The nursery is far from finished, but at least it's started.
Then I went to bed.  When I woke up Friday afternoon I paid the price.  I was nearly in tears when I left for the ER because I was sore all over and felt like a zombie.  Very thankful for the 4 hours of sleep that I was able to get.
The rest of Saturday was devoted to a big grocery trip, football, and red beans and rice.  So boring, but so much fun.
Oh, and of course I'll post pictures of the nursery and our (my mom's) sewing creations when it is complete.  A non-traditional girl's nursery, but "I wike it."

Porter funny: And finally, I must share the Porter funny of the weekend.  We were driving home from the grocery store and met a krispie creme truck coming from the opposite direction.  Porter said, "Hey, it's the doughnut truck! It takes care of the doughnuts!"  Yes it does....

No comments:

Post a Comment